I'll admit it. My kids have a lot of screen time during the summer. I try to get them playing outside or go to the park but the reality is that they end up watching their fair share of tv/wii/computer.
We do a reading log every summer (provided by our local library) and it is great. The kids do read a lot during the summer. But this gave me the idea of a walking/running log.
Paige has started running a little bit in the evenings to help build up her endurance for swimming. So while I was outside walking/running with her, the other kids ended up joining us and we all walked around the block quite a few times. So as a family we decided that we would start a running/walking log. They are all so excited about this!
Every time one of us walks around our block (it's a 1/4 mile) we can fill in a box on our Log. We all can contribute to the log at any time but walking as a family at night will help fill it up faster.
After we fill in 300 boxes then we will have our reward!
The kids decided they want to build a fire in the backyard and make S'mores. (We don't have a fire pit or anything so this should be interesting!!!) I will let you guys know in a few days how it is going.
1 comment:
What an amazing idea! My kids get a lot of screen time, too--I admit it. It's the only way I ever get anything done around here. I was planning to walk with the kids to the school every day (them on bikes or scooters) so that Jacob can start biking to school next year--that would eliminate my driving at all for school...maybe we'll have to start a log, too. I know they'd really love that. =)
Watch craigslist for a fire pit-- I found a really nice one with marble all around it for $50. We LOVE having fires in the back yard. Good luck and have fun!
Post a Comment