Saturday, November 28, 2009

Moments

You ever have one of those moments where you child brings tears to your eyes because you are so proud of them? I had one of those moments tonight.

Earlier in the day I had taken the kids to Target to buy things so that we could put together a small care package for some of the soldiers. We had talked a lot about what it would be like to be away from your family during Christmas time and how thankful we should be to these great men and women serving our country.

So, tonight we were sitting around the table and as a family writing letters/cards to a unit of soldiers who are serving in Afghanistan. Mitchell left for a while and went upstairs. When he came back down I saw him slip something into one of the letters he had written. Then he sealed up the envelope and went on to writing the next one. I asked him what he had put into his letter and he got shy and said, "I gave him my two dollars."

Mitchell had been saving that money for a few weeks. He was trying to save up enough money to buy something special. I was so proud of him for being so giving and thoughtful that it brought tears to my eyes as I hugged him and told him that I was sure that the lucky soldier that got his money would be really thankful for it.

What a good Christmas spirit he brings to our home. He has a very sweet and tender heart and we are so lucky to have him in our family.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

Ahh that is so sweet! No wonder he got student of the month again.

Love you Mitch.

Tony and Traci said...

That's cute. You do have very sweet kids.