Monday, May 4, 2009

Journals Rock!

From the time I was 12 until about 20 I kept a journal(s). They are funny to read now, but I am so thankful that I have them! They really do help me with insight about how my YW might be feeling about their lives right now. I stopped when I got engaged to Matt and didn't start again until Mitchell turned 1 years old. (I am really sad that I don't have those years recorded!)
Since then (2002) I have kept a "family" journal pretty consistently.
Tonight as I was helping Mitchell with his homework I pulled it all up on my computer. He has to make a time line of his life with all the important dates (born, first steps, first tooth, etc) and so I pulled out the journal and photos to help us.
As I sat and read back what has happened and how our family has changed through the last seven years I was so thankful that I had our Journal! There were so many little things that I had forgotten about. Funny things that Mitchell had said, cool things Paige had done that I had totally forgotten all about. I am so thankful that my parents instilled journal keeping in me. My Grandma Liston has also been a very big example to me about keeping a journal. Thanks G-G!
I have been keeping my journal online here now for almost 2 years! I right click and copy everything here and save it in Word. I also have other things that I didn't publish here because they were private or might embarrass my kids at the time (like the time Mitchell pulled the fire alarm at the temple...lol). I am glad my kids can all print them out and have a copy when they get older! I may not be the best at keeping a baby book or a scrapbook, but at least they will have this.

No comments: