Friday, December 12, 2008

The Great Christmas Tree Debate

Matt grew up with a mom who loves Christmas tree ornaments. She has hundreds of the prettiest ornaments you have ever seen. There are all different and unique and fun to look at.
I grew up with a mom that always had a "themed" tree. It has either been red and gold, blue and silver, black and gold, etc. I have always thought they were so pretty.

So when we first got married and started having our own tree we totally disagreed on how to decorate.

Matt loves the mismatch of ornaments that have meaning or represent different people. I like the symmetry of having the ornaments all match. And for the record I do have ornaments that have meaning too - they just need to match my tree (which many of them do) or they go on the back/side of the tree.

So who wins this debate? Well the person that buys the ornaments and decorates the tree of course!

3 comments:

Kristie and Roger said...

Maybe it just means, I am a little "touched" or psycho about tree's matching. I always have to have certian things match........look at my sliverwear drawer.
And that is why we always had two tree's when you were growing up.......Those are just one thing I have nver thought about collecting.....
Be yourself and do your own psycho stuff........

Susanne said...

Your tree is beautiful. Our tree growing up was like Matt's, It always bugged me. But my Mom's tree growing up was like yours and that always bugged my Mom. She hated that her Mom wouldn't let her put anything she made on the "special" tree. I guess sometimes we switch things are parents do, and copy the ones we like.

Our tree matches, but it's a little Farkelish. Oh well, the fact that my daughter has been eating 6 year old popcorn off the strands pretty much tells you what it looks like.

Travis and Megan Liston said...

Our tree does not match and we love it. All of our ornaments have a special meaning. We even now have a Charlie Brown Treen in the other room for the kids crazy ornaments or the ones that do not have any real meaning. That is my vote - Character over style.

TRL